We have all heard stories in the news of various employees of high profile companies using social media to send out company information or photographs that jeopardize the company’s brand and reputation. It casts a terrible light on the company and can take months to repair the damage that was done.
No one wants to be caught in that situation, therefore, having a comprehensive social media policy in place can prevent such faux pas from happening.
How can a social media policy help your business? Here are 5 reasons:
- Protects your business from slander.
- Protects your employees from acting and posting proprietary information.
- Gives employees and managers guidelines for what they can do or not do online, respective to your business.
- Details what can be shared, and not shared, in regard to your business.
- Defines who, what, when or where social media can be used.
Most importantly, the policy is driven on an element of trust and the ultimate goal is to use social media to support and empower your business.
Social media is a part of the fabric of our communications — having clear and defined protocols and guidelines in regard to how your business utilizes social media is a must have. It will protect you, your employees and your clients. It is also important to remember that your policy must not be in violation of freedom of speech, and accordingly, should be reviewed by your company lawyer.
Your policy should also be integrated into your operating protocols and all employees should sign the policy for your records.
You can review many other company policies here for ideas on content. If you want additional information about creating a social media policy for your medical spa, contact Acara Partners at 203-488-0028 x305.